Friday, July 1, 2011

Cucumber Salad

After 24 hours of watchful surveillance, I'm pretty confident that our garden-invading-caterpillars are gone. Fingers crossed. And the joy of that news had me in the mood to whip up something using my homegrown veggies. Unfortunately, at this point in time I only have about 10 ripe cherry tomatoes and a half-sized eggplant that's really not ready for picking... but I have more cucumbers than I know what to do with! So I decided to make a quick cucumber salad, the way my grandma used to when I was growing up.


You can, of course, make this with store bought cukes, or spice it up by adding some sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, or even fresh dill. It's pretty versatile (and oh-so-easy). All you need is:

4 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar (I used cider, but balsamic would be tasty, too)
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and toss to coat all the cucumbers with the dressing. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour.

2 comments:

  1. This was a classic at my house growing up. We always called them Ukrainian Cucs - Because my great-grandmother (who was born in the Ukraine) used to make these all the time! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my grandma used to make a salad like this too! Yay grandmas.

    ReplyDelete