Monday, October 29, 2012

Some cold weather goals

The leaves are almost gone, the air is significantly colder, and my craving for pumpkin and all-things-fall is quickly giving way to anticipation of wintry delights. Hey, it's practically November! What's that? You think I'm getting ahead of myself?! Well then, I hope you'll forgive me... because if history is any indication, I'm about to start singing carols until 2013.

Perhaps it's being holed up inside to avoid the cold winds (and snow!) of Frankenstorm. It could be that my body is just gearing up for the annual display of gluttony around the Thanksgiving table. Or maybe the turn of the season just reminds me of how excited I am to experience each new milestone with our little family of three. Whatever it is, you can rest assured that my knitting needles are at the ready, my oven at work, and some new sort of resolutions (I guess you could call them that...) offering new perspective on how I'd like to be spending my time and attention.

This winter, I want to do more. I know it seems contradictory when the weather prevents much getting out (especially with a baby), but I have become increasingly aware of how little I seem to accomplish in the face of laziness. Doubtless, this won't happen without a serious dying-to-myself kind of re-prioritization. Which will require prayer. And to-do lists. And deadlines. And waking up earlier. But I think it will all be worth it-- not because it will change my worth or position as a mother, wife, or Christian, but because it will free me up to serve others first, and to actually enjoy the things I'm using my time for.

SO. Here are some things I hope to accomplish this winter. Consider this my attempt at public accountability.

  • Make some kind of cleaning schedule. Every week, Monday rolls around and I'm somehow surprised that the piles of laundry have come back and my house is messy again. I think a weekly routine would ease the load by breaking up the work and setting realistic expectations.
  • Knit, knit, knit! There are probably a dozen projects I've been ogling for months, but have just not begun. Also, my yarn stash has grown to a ridiculous size and it sure would be nice to make use of what I've got. That, and I started a blanket over 18 months ago that haunts me. 
  • Less time staring at a screen. Lately I've been going to bed at night with sore eyes from the amount of time I've spent looking at my computer. And closing it to watch tv doesn't really help either. (Plus--and I really hope I'm not alone in this-- I get bored just watching tv and find I end up online at the same time. How sad that my mind needs to be so distracted to feel entertained!) Plus, when things get boring during my hours at home with an infant, I don't want my default to be to hit up electronics.
  • Read. LOTS. There are way too many beautiful stories out there that I have yet to discover, and there's nothing quite like cozying up under the covers with a book on a cold night. This may be a far cry from possible with Miss Annie vying for my attention, but I would love to read at least one book a month this winter. Which will not be possible unless I do actually get off the computer! Hmm.. I'm sensing a theme here...
  • Pray. God has been graciously growing my heart for prayer this year, and I have seen a lot of growth in this area of my life...but there are always more things to pray for! Especially being in the work that we are in, there are literally hundreds of people who contribute to or are affected by our ministry. I want to express my gratitude for what the Lord has given us and acknowledge my need for Him in disciplined, persistent prayer.
Have you tried-- whether successfully or unsuccessfully-- to incorporate more of what you love into your day? Any suggestions for cleaning schedules, knitting projects, or great books to read? I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. great goals! they sound similar to mine. here are two suggestions:
    1 - make a cleaning chart with everything you need to do divided in basic areas like floors, glass, surfaces, etc. make 12 columns - 4 weeks each for a 3 month period. you can check off what you did each week, that way you can scan it and if there's something that hasn't been done in awhile (like changing the sheets or whatever) you can put aside less important things that week and do that first.
    2 - read or re-read the great gatsby! the movie is coming out in december and i'm so pumped! it's such a good book and i think (or at least i'm hoping) the movie will really do it justice

    ReplyDelete