Thursday, September 19, 2013

Transferring An Image To Wood

I know I don't usually spend much time talking about small things we do around the house (the focus tends to be major renovation stuff), but I was too excited about this little project to not share.



I followed this tutorial after doing a quick search on Pinterest for "transferring images to wood." I picked up the wood slice from Michael's for about $6 after a 40% off coupon. The only other materials needed were Elmer's washable glue, ModPodge, and some card stock.


Basically, you paint the card stock with a thin layer of glue and allow it to dry. Then, you feed the paper into a normal inkjet printer so that the image is printed onto the glue side. If you're doing a project with words, you need to flip the image horizontally before printing. Like so...

I made this in Microsoft Word's Publishing Layout using a free font called "Pea Ellie Bellie" by Kevin & Amanda
Paint a thin layer of ModPodge onto the wood, and press your image firmly into the wet ModPodge. I used a spatula to smooth it out and make sure it was all rubbed evenly. The hardest part is next---waiting to let the image dry overnight. Without peeking.


The next day, soak the paper with warm water (you can submerge the whole project, squirt it with a bottle, or run it under the tap) until it becomes soft and easily scrapes away from the wood. The water re-activates the "washableness" of the glue, separating the ink from the paper, leaving behind your image. I was so nervous peeling the paper off, but it was pretty simple. There are definitely some spots where I smudged the ink, but I don't mind that it looks a little more rustic. It is a log, after all.


I did have a couple spots where the ink didn't transfer. My guess is I either didn't get ModPodge on that part of the wood, or I didn't spread the glue enough on that part of the card stock. Either way, a fine-tipped Sharpie made it easy to draw in the missing letters and touch up some of the others that came out a little spotty.


I think it's safe to say I'm totally enamored with this process, and I'm itching to find another project to personalize. In the meantime, I'll be satisfied to enjoy this one, which will hang on the gallery wall in our Master (forget that the frames have yet to be filled with real pictures). The husband and I have a thing about trees--they're kind of our signature thing. This verse was the inspiration for one of the first poems he ever wrote me.

The will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:3b

No comments:

Post a Comment