Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Best Birthday Cake

Let me start by saying, my husband is not a baker. He is an excellent sous chef, an outstanding dishwasher, and an all-around pleasant companion to have in the kitchen... but a culinary giant he is not. So, when family started asking about birthday plans and who would make a cake, my sweet Bryan would avert his eyes and hope someone else might step up to the proverbial plate.

But with perhaps a little guilt coaxing from the birthday girl, my man summoned his inner Duff Goldman and made me the most proud little wifey today. And I hardly helped at all! Save for separating egg whites from the yolks and chopping some pecans, this birthday cake is 100% made with love from my main squeeze.


That's right! He baked, layered, frosted, and finished a German Chocolate Cake all on his own.






Tell me that's not precious? Being such a food fanatic, I think a birthday cake is about the sweetest thing Bryan could have done for me. Now I just have to stare at it sitting on the counter until after dinner... I'm just not promising I won't swipe some frosting from the sides when nobody is looking.


German Chocolate Cake รก la Bryan

Cake:
1 box chocolate cake, prepared according to package directions

Frosting:
2 cans  sweetened condensed milk
6 Tbsp. butter
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup sweetened coconut
2/3 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan. For frosting, combine sweetened condensed milk, butter, and egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Stir continually over medium-low heat until thickened, about 6 minutes (I recommend using a rubber spatula to avoid sticking and burning on the sides and bottom). Add pecans, coconut, and vanilla and mix well. Use an offset spatula to spread the frosting between layers and around the outside of cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment