Friday, July 8, 2011

Throw a Potter Party!

It's been a busy week in the Worrall household-- we've had a lot of traveling to do, and with the holiday weekend last week, I've been doing a lot of catching up. The madness isn't going to end anytime soon either, but one beacon of light in my crazy schedule is coming up in just one short week. That's right... I'm looking longingly to next Friday when (drumroll, please) the final Harry Potter movie will be released!

Call it an obsession, I'm totally not ashamed, but I've loved Harry Potter since I was a girl in elementary school... and the affinity for all-things-Harry has only grown with time. This past fall, the hubby and I had a chance to visit The Wizarding World of HP in Universal Studios. It. Was. Awesome. It's a good thing Bryan was there to chaperone or I might have just moved into Hogsmeade and made my career selling Treacle Tarts at Honeydukes. And prayed they wouldn't have figured out that I was actually a Muggle.


Seriously, I can't even count the number of times I've read the books, and one Halloween, my sister and I even dressed up as characters.


Anyway, one thing I've always dreamed of doing (but never had the chance to actually do it) is throwing a HP themed party. Complete with costumes, butterbeer, fog machines, and the ceremonial midnight showing of a new release (I told you I was insane). But unfortunately, this year I'll be on the road during the release and unable to welcome the last of this iconic series in style. So, in honor of the final cinematic installation of the greatest story ever (and in hopes that one of you would actually do this) I've compiled a list of some awesome Harry-themed ideas for the most magical wizard party. Bring on the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2!


Since you probably don't have any live owls on hand, this balloon invitation seems like a pretty great alternative to invite your guests to the festivities. I mean, seriously, that ballon is legit. Found here.


Don't live in Hogsmeade? No worries. This clever sheet-that-looks-like-bricks and a Platform 9 3/4 sign will tell your guests their in the right spot. Found here.

DIY wands for your fellow wizards by using a hot glue gun to embellish dowels from the hardware store. Then give 'em a coat of white, silver, or brown spray paint. Photo found here.



And for the most important party additions: THE FOOD. Snack on Golden Snitch cake balls and butterbeer cupcakes. Photos found here and here (the recipe, too).


Then, wash them down with some frozen butterbeer. YUMM. We got to try this in Univeral and it tasted exactly how I imagined it would. Photo and recipe found here.


After the festivities are over, share these adorable treat bags as favors with your friends to hide in their purse at the movies as you head off to your midnight showing! Found here.


Anyone else out there grow up with Harry? Unhealthy obsession much? Who's going to the Deathly Hallows on Friday? Come on, join me in my madness!

3 comments:

  1. this is the cutest post! that would be SUCH a fun party! i've never thought of doing a harry potter party, but i've always wanted to do an alice in a wonderland one. maybe i'll blog about that haha
    -sydni

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooo
    mmmmyyyyyyy
    goooooooodnesss! I totally want to come to that party as a newly-obsessed harry potter fan! Loved everything in this post, what great finds/ideas! you should just throw a later one in bburg...I'll be there if you do;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEEEEEE! Actually I don't know if I can make it, but I really want to. Man, I wish I could throw a HP party. So legit.

    I also LOVE HP. It's totally an obsession and I'm proud of it :)

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete